Thursday, October 17, 2013

A move


Apologies for the brevity of this post.  I have had an amazingly full and varied life over the past two weeks.

It started in Minneapolis, took a week's interlude in Johannesburg to celebrate with approximately 50% of my school mates our fifty years  reunion.  For at least seven of us, it was over 60 years since we started at school together.  Although it was a church school, many of us were sent there because it provided one of the best educations around - in a stunning setting to boot.

St. John's - one of the oldest schools in Johannesburg

Then I flew to my home in Knysna, 800 miles away, packed the car and a trailer and drove the 300 miles to Cape Town where my friend Mette and I have bought an apartment.  On the way, I managed to see my 'grand daughter', Maya - actually the grand daughter of my late younger brother.  The we unpacked the STUFF into the new apartment, which, by the way, we saw for the first time.  Yes, I know, you think we were crazy to buy something sight unseen.

Then back to Knysna, pack up some more.  Drive to Cape Town again - via Maya.  And today we flew to the bush for 10 days of idle pleasure next to Kruger National Park.

Many people question why I am leaving Knysna, which is regarded as one of the most beautiful spots in South Africa.  And it certainly is.  But when push comes to shove, I am a city boy and the lure of Cape Town was too much to resist.  Mind you Cape Town ranks at least as high as Knysna in the beauty pageant.

As I write this, I am sitting in the bush, watching warthogs, baboons, and mongooses.  In a few minutes we will drive to some remote part of the farm and sip wine while watching the sun go down.  perhaps a herd of elephants or buffalo will join us.

Here are a few photos of why Cape Town is so appealing.  The first European settlement was by the Dutch in 1652 to plant a vegetable garden for ships going to the East Indies. Of course, people had been living in the area for centuries, notably the Khoi-San.

Painting of Jan van Riebeeck arriving at the Cape in 1652.

The beautiful and fine University of Cape Town

The iconic view of Cape Town with Table Mountain behind.

Nelson Mandela's home for many years - Robben Island

A view of the Cape Town bowl from atop Table Mountain, which is about 3500 feet (1000 metres) high.

The Cape of Good Hope.  To some it was the Cape of Storms.

The dramatic crags of Cape Point
Some of the locals are quite aggressive.

The main house on Groot Constantia - a vineyard established in about 1670 and still going strong.
Kirstenbosch - the national botanical gardens on the side of Table Mountain


Bantry Bay, where we have bought an apartment with views of the Atlantic and Lions Head (in the background)

A tired Stan - Thursday





2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Stan, for bringing me back to beautiful Cape Town with these photos, and for the reminder of the day in my life when fifty elephants walked by while we sipped gin and tonics at sunset. For me, life on this planet does not get better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apology accepted! Congratulations and best wishes to you and Mette from J&B.

    ReplyDelete